Saturday 25 September 2010

2 days out






Two Days birdwatching started at South Stack Anglesey in a force 7 with me realising I'd forgot my flask of coffee!
However, Chough was a year tick and Med Gull was found at Trearddur Bay by yours truly.
A quick viewing of the ferry terminal for Black Guillemot proved fruitless, possibly the wrong time of year,But nice to know the locale.
Penhros and Cemlyn were just as windy, with Bar tailed Godwit being the only year tick.
The Great Orm was next in search of Lapland Bunting and after I took everyone to the wrong place the godfather of Sargent birding(my Dad)eventually got us to the right area.There was no sign of the Buntings, we later found we were 200m shy of seven of the beasties,But Manx shearwater was a year tick for some of the party and I found a nice specimen of lycoperdon perlatum AKA the common puffball.
A quick chat with a fellow birder saw us heading to Conwy RSPB to bag a lifer for me in the form of a Grey Phalarope.Also present was a little Stint and 3 Red Breasted Mergansers.
Must say I was very impressed with the site at Conwy and look forward to the same at Middleton lakes if it ever opens!
A blast down the A55 saw us on the Wirral at Neston looking for the Whiskered Tern to no avail,But a distant/possible Spoonbill and Black Tern were some reward.
After arguing with my the satnav we finally got my brothers hotel in Blackpool.
Great to see "our kid" and many thanks to him for putting us up at one of his busiest times of the year.
A quick note to my other brother, there is no such thing as a deliberate foul in Pool!
After a great breakfast the decision was made to head to Pennington flash to look for the Red necked Grebe.
There had been no sighting of the target bird, but a Black necked Grebe was a nice bonus.
The decision then had to be made, where to go next? There wasn't a lot about up here and a report of a Pectoral Sand piper at Upton Warren proved to tempting.
So down the M6, onto the M5 and there you are just like that!
Well not just like that, you need an indefatigable,built-in satnav driver to do that, and luckily enough my brothers just that and without him I wouldn't have seen half the birds I have.Thanks Mark.
The "pec" was seen at Upton and a few photos taken, but poor hide etiquette, don't you just hate it when you let someone into a crowded hide and then they stand in front of you,forced me to leave.
A great couple of days and it looks like we might be doing it again Monday!

1 comment:

  1. you have a good knowledge of Cricket you Can play daily online ,live cricket games,
    cricket online games, best cricket games, play cricket online, cricket game online at best cricket games app for android phones to win real
    cash and amount to instant approve in your bank or Paytm wallet.
    play cricket online

    ReplyDelete