Wednesday 24 February 2010

Scaup





Yesterday, after a fruitless hour and a half around Kingsbury, I returned home only to find I'd received a tip off from Tom Perrins,(Cheers Tom), about a female Scaup on Hemlingford water, only about a quarter of a mile from where I'd been.
Well I got ready to return to the water park only for it to start snowing very,very heavily.Being on two wheels I decided not to risk it and to hope it stopped around.
Dashed straight there after work only to find around 50 Pochard and a few Tufted duck.
Disappointed, I decided to head on over to Broomey Croft for a quick scan from the hides.
On entering Skan hide I was asked by Tim and John the pilot where I'd been and when I told them a couple in the hide said that they had been watching the Scaup on Hemlingford water at around dinnertime.
There was nothing else I could do, so I whizzed back to Hemlingford and after about 15 minutes of scanning I located the duck in mid water.
Then as soon as I had located the scaup it started to feed, and if anyone has ever tried to photograph a diving duck while it is feeding they will know what a fun half hour I had getting the above shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment